Saturday, October 15, 2011

A song a day: The Weakerthans - Pamphleteer


OWS edition: All these Occupy Wall Street protests have got me thinking about good radical songs that can be inspiring. Being an ardent leftie for, well, forever, I don't think that good music and politics can be mutually exclusive. However, I thought I'd start with a song that kind of sums up the thankless task it can to believe in something passionately. Pamphleteer ably captures the thankless task of standing on a street corner handing our fliers to an uncaring or uninterested populis. I've been there myself and while you might burn with a righteous passion for the community good (and I think that's what the left generally represents - basic humanism over capital), it can do your head in at the indifference with what people feel about it but in the end, you sick with it regardless. I don't think I've heard this better articulated than in this song and the Weakerthans are an overlooked indie band with left politics making great music.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment